Monday, August 28, 2006

Arkansas State Rally


Back from the Rally. We didn’t spend much time at the rally site at all, but had great rides through the mountains of Arkansas. Originally we had tentatively planned on heading up on Thursday but waited till Friday. Just Darlene and I traveled up. I picked a route through Oklahoma, I thought it was pretty good, some good highways, a bit of scenery. I think Oklahoma may be a bit limited in that manner, but also wanted a pretty direct route. Driving into Ft Smith was a pretty typical older city, the end we came in on seemed to be pretty industrial but I think its just more characteristic of the city.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn city center which was a good spot for the main street cruising. Hung out a bit on Friday night to check out the scene.
Saturday morning we rode with Don and Martha, and Glen and Kim. We went up highway 71 to Fayetteville, a great twisty ride, and eventually caught up with the rain. We then did the Pig Trail, a truly great ride! And then Magazine Mountain. A bit of road work on the Magazine route but not enough to detract from the ride. I would have to say that these were definitely the best roads I have ridden in my short riding career. Just beautiful. Twisty roads, up and down hills, tree canopies….
Sunday the ride back we pretty much took the direct route back, and ran into a bit of rain. Just enough to put on our rain gear for about 45 minutes or so. We got back home about 2:30, total miles 810.

No comments: