Monday, August 17, 2009

Ghost busting

Well I guess we scared the ghosts, or else slept through them. We weren't in one of the haunted rooms however, so who knows. Previously we had stayed in the Excelsior hotel, where there are also rumored to be ghosts, this past weekend was at the Jefferson Hotel. Actually I had more vibe from this one than the Excelsior, so maybe there were ghosts?

We rode separate from the group as we wanted to take advantage of the trip east to collect some ABC points. We did get several and the route I planned had some unexpected happenings. Well not so much happenings but a few of the roads... When I planned the route I usually avoid Country Roads (CR designation) as they are often dirt roads. So in my planning I went on a couple of named roads, thinking they were either FM or SH roads. Well these roads; Dahlia, Hollyhock and Periwinkle, were none of these, however they were paved. Technically. They were about 1 and a half lanes at the widest, no markings, and were through the East Texas forests. Rolling and curvy, and while not in the best shape, there were not significant issues. Just had to take care and exercise caution. In total we rode between 15 and 20 miles on these roads. I have to look back at the map and see the alternate routes on FM roads to see what options we would have had.

The one disappointment on the trip was that it appears that someone has made off with the Uncertain road sign so we were unable to collect "U" this weekend as Uncertain, TX does not have a post office or other government building.

Jefferson is a fun old town that really caters to both tourists and bikers. We had a great time with our friends and lots of laughs at Auntie Skinners Riverboat Club.

Weekend miles were about 360 miles. I think I'm just about due for my next oil change and need to start thinking about brake fluid and fork oil...




No comments: