Sunday, September 06, 2009

Saturday night at the dirt track!

Friends of our race Modified Stock Cars. Their home track is Devil's Bowl in Mesquite. We went out to watch some races last year, and Saturday night we went out and got pit passes so we could hang out with them on the infield. There were also Sprint car races this weekend as well.

I brought my camera so I could try to get a few shots of Brad on the track. Its a tough gig! Great and pretty flexible positioning in the infield, could get dangerously close to the track, but unfortunately the racing is at night so you have to rely on high ISO and flash. I have a Canon EOS 20D, so it only goes to ISO 1600 and an older flash unit that is a bit underpowered.

I met Mike, who takes shots for Speedway Photography and he was a great guy, gave me some tips, and helped me out quite a bit.

This race was a bit different than last years race. The Devil's Bowl is in Mesquite. And its Redneck Heaven! Last year in the stands, well, its something to experience at least once. If you ever thought Nascar represented the best in all things redneck, then you've never been to the local dirt track! Mind you hanging with friends in the infield doesn't give you the same experience, but you do get much more of a feel of being the part.

I took close to 400 shots, lots and lots of duds. I haven't shot at a race in years, especially with this kind of vantage point, and never before at night. I think I got a few shots though and I think Brad and family will appreciate.

Here are a few.







No comments: