Friday, May 30, 2008

Warranty work

Broken parts, uh oh. Nothing bad.
I changed the oil and transmission oil last night, 37K miles (for my reference) Stuck on another K&N filter. This one didn't seem to go on very well even backed it off and tried it again. so when I started the bike, quite a bit of oil leaked out around the filter. Tightened with a wrench, no more leak, hopefully I'll be able to take it off when the time comes.

But while I was checking for leaks I also tried to find out why my exhaust sounded different, and louder than normal. There is was, the rear header pipe, had a crack, almost a split, coming out of the rear head. I guess that explains why I though my bike sounded different. I was wondering if it was because I had been doing my long rides with earplugs (to reduce wind noise) and had gotten used to them or if my long trip had further "broken in" my slipons which really didn't make sense. I guess it also explains the recent increase in decel popping which I thought was due to the warmer temperatures as we are now well into the 90's.

I called the dealership, it should be covered under my extended warranty and I'm going to have them look at the small primary leak I have. From what I have been able to determine, and I could very easily be wrong, that leak may actaully be from the transmission drive seal.

The only other thing that has me concerned is the cam chain tensioner. Its one of those things that may or may not be a problem, but I don't know if I have a concern, or if its covered. Still trying to figure out how to proceed on that, maybe I'll just pick up a gasket and try to inspect it myself.

No comments: