Sunday, May 19, 2013

Backyard

They say you can find lots to photograph in your own backyard.   It it very true but it can be easy to overlook things.   I think you have to look hard, and look small.  By that I mean get very close.  Over the past few years I've had a little garden in my back yard.  I have a very active bird feeder this year as well, hopefully I can figure out how to get some shots of the cardinals and other birds that are frequenting the feeder.

These pictures below have been taken over a couple of weeks, maybe close to a month, as my garden has been growing.  The don't represent that growth, but are some interesting shots I've taken.

This year I decided to try to grow some blueberries.  I figure it may be a couple of years before I get a good crop, and it looks like this year I may get enough for topping one bowl of cereal!



Also new for this year are beans.  That has been interesting.  I put in a new bed and I don't think the soil is "good" yet.  But the beans are finally starting to pick up and are now blossoming.  At least one variety anyway.  Will be interesting to see what I get.


 

For the past few years I have been trying to grow tomatoes.  This year I started them quite a bit earlier and also have a different supplier.  Last year I had plenty of cherry tomatoes but very few other tomatoes.  I planted some Heirlooms this year and wow, they are doing very well.  Its still early, I actually had to cover them three times to protect from frost, but it was 93F yesterday, so I think the risk of frost is long gone.


Finally, what is a garden without small creatures.   Spoiler, if you are freaked out by spiders, stop now!  These are on my lime tree.  I had a ton of blossoms and was expecting a great crop, but unfortunately not a single blossom germinated.  Oh well, maybe next year.





No comments: