Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Measureable rain and coat hangers

What do measureable rain and coat hangers have in common? Absolutely nothing. But I'll get to each of those points in a bit.

Haven't posted in a while, not that we haven't been busy, but no real riding. We finished up summer hockey last week, for the first time in many seasons, possibly since we have been playing at Richardson, neither the C or D team made the playoffs. Not a bad thing I guess, I can probably use the rest, although I felt like I needed it more at the end of the fall season than this past season. Maybe in part because I had a good final game on Saturday. My slapshot was on and I got an assist of our first goal, slapshop off one of our players into net, and the second was a rush from behind our net after stealing the puck with a blistering slapshot after crossing the offensive blue line into the top right hand corner. Mike K said Hate got the assist. Ha!

We finally had some measureable rain yesterday. Enough even that our kickball game got cancelled. According to the Hippy Dippy Weather Man (George Carlin any one remember that skit?) we had 0.25 inches of rain. Woo Hoo. This on the tail of roughly 28-30 days of +100 temps. I think we set records on at least one day if not two. But it was only 107 that day! We could use some more rain however, as my lawn is taking a beating even with some watering and I need to kill some crabgrass.

I felt like a criminal this morning. Ryan couldn't open his drivers door on his truck. The passenger door has been that way for some time. So effectively he was locked out and vehicleless. I had a look, the key turned but did not move the post. No slimjims here and I don't have a clue how to make one but fortunately he had knobs on his post and a very small gap when we pulled on the door to fish in a coat hanger. I don't think I've ever successfully opened a car door like this but within about 2 minutes success. Now getting the door fixed was another story but after about an hour, some zip ties and beat up arms (unibody construction) we have a working door lock. Will tackle the passenger door another time, as its likely the same issue and would be nice for Ryan to have an alternative other than a coat hanger if it happens again.

The end is also near for the fence project. Yay! One more weekend, we did some this weekend, last corner, and it was quite hot. I was able to re-use some of the damaged panels so that helped out quite a bit, although they did not line up exactly, but its in the "far" corner so is essentially un-noticeable, especially from within the yard. Basically just 3 panels left to build, another 8 hours or so over a weekend.

No riding of late, Darlene got her bike ready for our trip this weekend, I need to do my fluids, etc this week. I have everyting I need just need to take the time and body fluids to get it done. Also need to get the gear down to figure out what to bring and how to pack it all. Me thinks laundry half way through might be needed to save on space....

No comments: