Monday, August 18, 2008

Trip Preparations

Less than one week away. My bike is ready to go, changed my fluids on the weekend, didn't really need to, but fresh and I know what's in it after it being in the dealer. Running my preferances, Mobil 1 V-Twin, Mobil 1 75-90 Gear oil, and ATF. Shifts smoother, runs a bit cooler. I should probably lube my cables if I get a chance this week.

Tough part is going to be packing, as we are tenting 3 nights. I have the mid-size tent and 2 pads. Darlene wants to take sheets/blankets instead of sleeping bags. Weather should be warm enough we shouldn't need too heavy a jacket, but rain is a concern any time of year. Actually though, long johns may make good pjs in <60F nights. Time to start laying it out tonight and making it all fit.

I was thinking we could do laundry maybe twice, night before, and maybe after tenting if necessary. Laundry would potentially mean less clothes to pack. Need a towel as well. Not a lot of room on these bikes! Especially since I have to bring my camera. Would really like to bring my zoom lens since my 28-105 is broken but that takes up quite a bit of room.

Routes are planned as are accomodations till our return leg, but I want to leave that open as I the two return legs are 500 miles each. Not sure after camping that a 500 mile day is likely.

No comments: