Monday, April 14, 2008

Tornado update

Its official. A small tornado touched down in the southern part of McKinney and Allen. It was about 2/10ths of a mile wide and had winds of approx 90 mph. I would say that is the tornado that hit the KittyHawk airport in Mckinney (Allen?) the Allen Cineplex and hit the powerlines and houses on 720 that I took pictures of.

I took a drive up Alma on Friday, between McDermott and SH121, and there was a lot of damage. Well at least as far as I was concerned. I haven't seen that much immediate damage from tornadoes or hurricanes before so it sure looked like a lot to me with numerous fences down, including brick and steel poles, as well as broken windows and a lot of roofs torn up. But most impressive probably was the rather large trees that were reduced to splinters at their breaking points.

So there you have it, that was close enough, and strong enough for me. I have no desire to be caught in any storm of that or greater magnitude!

No comments: