Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 - A year in review

2008, as they all are, was an exciting and eventful year. On a global scale, a significant shift as evidenced in the economy and even just the prices of gas. I remember planning our trip to Milwaukee and budgeting $2.50 for a gallon of gas, and re-budgeting on an almost weekly budget as gas prices rose to over $4.00 just in time for our trip in August, and now, they are at roughly $1.50.

A presidential election year, and what a wild one at that. Full of firsts, a black man and a woman, fighting to be the presidential candidate for the Democratic Party. For the Republican party, a 72 year old candidate, former POW, and for his vice president, an upstart woman governor for Alaska, Sara Palin. Looks like the US is finally catching up to other countries, with sex and racial equality....

Well personally, I had a lot going on this year as well. First and foremost of course, marrying (re-marrying) my lovely wife Darlene. We got married on March 29, a biker wedding of sorts. It was a great time. Lots of great friends, family and fun. I love you Darlene.

Work wise, also an interesting year, as we were bought by HP. During that process I took a new role and afterwords questioned my decision to a degree but overall feel comfortable with my role, my manager and the organization I am with during these times of corporate and economic change.

House wise, wow, where to start. One major accomplishment of course was our fence, and there was a lot of smaller accomplishments. Of course a continual list of projects in various states of completion. But its all good, actually it is all good. Some of them test opinions but in the end so far they have been successful and satisfying.

Motorcycle. Another eventful year. Some changes from early start, we had some fairly lofty goals for mileage this year, each hoping to ride 20K miles. Well with the house activity, the chapter activity, and being around more for the boys, we didn't hit our mileage goals, although the price of gas certainly made that happen a bit easier as well. I had over 18,000 miles and Darlene had over 11,000 miles. That included our 3200 mile round trip ride to Milwaukee for the 105th, and it included my 3100 mile round trip to Las Vegas. It did not include the 2 or 3 other trips that we typically do, including no trips to Arkansas this year, compared to typically 2 per year.

Family. Haven't been home in a couple of years, its hard with everything else going on. Still need to get our passports sorted out, and start looking forward to our status in the long term. Mom and Dad are still healthy, but are advancing in years, and Dad makes in interesting of course with fairly major surgery on his ankle. I call regularly but if there is one resolution I need to make it should probalby be a trip home this year.

Closer to home of course, the boys. In some ways growing up too fast and in others not growing up fast enough. Not little kids anymore. Even Marc is in high school. Corey is growing up. He has a good head on his shoulders, quite worldly given his age and truly lack of real world experience. He'll be getting his license this spring. OMG! I'm actually still taller than Ryan, not by much, Corey, well, just don't ask me again next month... Marc, he still has a ways to go, but definately sprouted a bit.



2009, what will it bring. I haven't made any resolutions in a couple of years. Maybe I should this year. Besides the one above which I don't want to mention again for fear of hexing it, I need to focus on health, particulary loss of about 15 lbs. and financial. That one should be a bit easier as the more major projects are behind us.

No comments: