Friday, December 05, 2008

Texas Cold Fronts

Winter in Texas can be interesting, with balmy shirt sleeve temperatures mid day, then a few hours later be huddled up in big puffy jackets (mind you this is TX so that about 40F or lower).

Depending on the season, these cold fronts can easily impact the weather by 20-40 degrees, and often bring on violent storms. Spring and summer typically have storms, fall and winter typically have wider temperature swings and wind, but sometimes we are lucky with the precipitation aspect.

This past Wednesday was a dinner ride that I was leading. I took my gear to work so I would go directly to the dealership. In the morning it was about 65 degrees and since I had my work stuff, I had to wear my gear and litterally sweated on the way to work. By 6 PM on the way to the dealership it was in the mid to low 40's with a very cold and brisk north wind. Yes, it was cold.

I remember one particular February cold front from a few years ago, it was 82F during the day, and within 6 hours the temperature dropped almost 60 degrees with a bad storm that covered the roads with ice. The cold temps lasted about 3 days. I was staying at a hotel in Dallas it actually got down to 8F during that week and pipes froze in the hotel lobby. The roads were a mess for about 3 days. I was still truly Canadian conditioned at that time so I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

This Saturday is the Lewisville Toy run and morning temps are forecast to be in the 30s although by afternoon it may, may get up to mid 50s. Should be fun. Winter riding is always fun cause you say hi to folks you know but don't recognize due to cold weather attire. I should get some good pics tomorrow!

No comments: