Monday, June 05, 2006

NOT ROT

Well this past weekend was AE's NOT ROT weekend, as an alternative to those who do not want to participate in the madness that is Republic of Texas (ROT) Rally. So we went in a decidedly different direction, to Amarillo TX, specifically Canyon TX. We left the dealership Saturday morning in two pods consisting of a total of about 22 bikes. It was about a 400 mile day for us, with a few stops along the way. Unfortunately the trip took a bit longer than expected so we ended up changing the itinerary along the way and we did not get to stop a Cadillac Ranch. I've been there before but really wanted to check it out again. Anyway we got to the hotel about 5:15 pm, in time to get cleaned up to go to Palo Duro State park for dinner and the play. The drive down the canyon road was awesome! The play was Epic Texas and was a preview as they were still in rehearsals but it was very well done in the outdoor theatre with the effects and cast. We got back to the hotel about 11:30 PM

Early to rise the next morning as some of us wanted to get the Dalhart Lone Star Challenge point. Well there were only three of us, Darlene and myself, led by Dave W. We took some back roads, and for me, a wildlife lover, it was great! I actually saw three antelope, which I have never seen before, more jackrabbits than I could count, some prarie dog towns, a lone coyote and a large flock of turkeys up on a ridge! We had breakfast and got our challenge point pictures in Dalhart then got on our way again. Sunday's ride was a long one as it was hot and my afternoon we were stopping every hour or sooner to refresh and get some shade. It reached 104 in one town! It was even so hot, I think we saw a mirage, a herd of camels in some texas oasis! Six hundred miles later we arrived, at about 7:30. If nothing else I learned the importance of resting and hydration. I felt pretty good overall after the ride and next day.

No comments: